Cranford Plans July 4 Events
The following is a schedule of the events taking place in Cranford on July 4.
A fireworks display will be the highlight of Cranford’s Annual Fourth of July:
Celebration. The day-long community festival will offer something for everyone including canoe races, a one-mile fun run and a four-mile run, a bike decorating contest and field games for the whole family, plus vendors in the park. This year will also see the addition of amusement rides, inflatable bouncers, a train ride plus games and novelty stands.
The following is a schedule of events:
- 8 a.m. - Canoe races at the Cranford Canoe Club. Visitors will be able to participate in the annual races. Trophies will be awarded for first, second and third place in each category. The Canoe Club is located at 250 Springfield Ave. Registration will be immediately before the races at 7:30 a.m. on July 4 at the Canoe Club. The races will include the following categories: 10-13 years, 14-20, years 21 years and older, Ma & Pa, Mother and Child, Father and Child, Marathon 13-17 years and Marathon 18 years and older.
- 9 a.m. - Firecracker Run. The Jaycees will conduct their Annual Firecracker Run beginning with a one-mile Fun Run at 8:30 a.m. and a four-miler at 9 a.m. at Nomahegan Park. Registration begins at 7:15 a.m. and is open until race time. For more info regarding the race go to www.cranfordjaycees.com.
- 1:30 p.m. - Bike Decorating Contest. The Bike Decorating Contest at Nomahegan Park starts at 1:30 p.m. for the following age groups 4 and under, 5-7 years, and 8-10 years. First, second and third place trophies will be awarded for each age group.
- 2 p.m. - Fun and games for all ages. The fun will begin with an Egg Toss followed by the Backwards Race (parent and child). Ribbons will be awarded for first, second and third place for each game. Every child will receive a participation ribbon. In addition, there will be food vendors in the park offering zeppoles, pork and beef barbecue, sausage and hot dogs, ice cream and assorted drinks from 2 to 10 p.m.
- 9:05 p.m. - Fireworks. Limited parking will be available at Union County College, however, residents are urged to walk if possible. The rain date will be July 5.