POLL: What Do You Think About the Assault Weapons Ban?
Lawmakers reintroduced a bill on Thursday that would ban more than 150 types of military-style assault weapons and ammunition. Tell us: What do you think of the ban?
Flanked by several military-style weapons, Democrats on Thursday introduced a bill that would ban the sale, manufacture, transfer and importation of 157 kinds of assault weapons, as well as magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.
"Massacres have taken place in businesses, law practices, malls, movie theaters and especially schools," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA). "These massacres don't seem to stop, they continue on. Columbine, Virginia Tech, Aurora, Tucson, Oak Creek—the common thread in these shootings is each gunman used a semi-automatic assault weapon or large-capacity ammunition magazine."
The ban would include:
- All semiautomatic rifles and pistols that use detachable magazines and have at least one military feature
- All semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine able to carry more than 10 rounds
- All semiautomatic shotguns with folding, telescoping or detachable stocks
The ban would exclude:
- 2,258 legitimate hunting and sporting rifles and shotguns
- Weapons that are legally possessed at the date of the bill's enactment
- Firearms that are manually operated by a bolt, pump, lever of slide action
- Weapons being used by military and law enforcement
- Antique weapons