The Cranford Weekend: Church to Celebrate 150th Anniversary With Song
The Celebration Singers will perform at the Cranford United Methodist Church.
The Cranford United Methodist Church will hold its 150th anniversary concert, featuring the Celebration Singers, a choir that was founded in 1938 in Elizabeth as the Esso Choristers, but that now is based in Cranford, includes a children’s choir, and practices at the church.
“It will be a community event,” said Pastor Ed Hann of the Cranford United Methodist Church. “It won’t be anything religious. It will be a community celebration of community singers.”
The concert will be held in Randolph Hall at 7:30 p.m. on Friday night. Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for seniors, and free for children.
Three choir groups that are a part of the celebration singers will perform: the adult group, the children’s group, and the “Middle C’s.” They will sing various songs, from the “Star Spangled Banner” to “Hallelujah,” to “Jambo,” a Kenyan folk song.
The concert will end with a song for all the choirs and all the guests to sing: “Let There Be Peace on Earth.”
More events this weekend:
Friday, April 15
- Cranford High School sports: Varsity baseball will play at Linden High School at 4 p.m. Varsity softball will play at home at 4 p.m. Boys varsity tennis will play at Westfield High School at 4 p.m. Girls varsity lacrosse will play at Scotch Plains High School at 4 p.m. Boys varsity lacrosse will play at home against Morristown-Beard.
Saturday, April 16
- Cranford High School sports: Coed varsity track will compete at the Blue Devil Relays at 9 a.m. Varsity softball will compete at the Black & Gold Tournament at 10 a.m. Varsity baseball will play at the Roselle Park Tournament at 1 p.m.
- The Cranford United Methodist Church is holding a clothing drive from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. They are looking for wearable clothing for all seasons, toys, backpacks, shoes, belts, and more. For a full list of items, see Patch’s event listing.
- Spring tennis classes will be held at the Hillside Avenue School from 1:30 to 2:15 p.m. Prices vary depending on age group. For more information, call 732-563-2520 or email info@ussportsinstitute.
Sunday, April 17
- The Cranford Jaycees will host a pancake breakfast from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Cranford VFW. $7 per adult, $5 per child, or $20 per family. Make sure to bring the kids--there may be a certain special bunny making a visit.
- Trinity Episcopal Church will present a meditation on the passion of Christ at 4 p.m., featuring the Trinity Episcopal Church Choir.