Invite a friend
Joseph G. Bilby to speak about New Jersey’s Black Civil War Soldiers
In recognition of the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War and Black History Month, award-wining New Jersey historian Joseph G. Bilby will speak about New Jersey’s black Civil War soldiers at the Cranford Community Center, 220 Walnut Avenue, on Wednesday, February 8, at 7:30 p.m.
His lecture will be based on his recently published book, Freedom to All: New Jersey's African-American Civil War Soldiers. The program will feature a PowerPoint slide show, including pictures of some of the Garden State's black soldiers and their training camp, as well as some of the battles in which they fought. Mr. Bilby is the author or editor of some fifteen books about New Jersey and military history. He holds two history degrees, and he served as an officer in Vietnam. He is currently Assistant Curator of the National Guard Militia Museum in Sea Girt. Mr. Bilby is also a member and publications editor of the New Jersey Civil War Sesquicentennial Committee. Copies of his books will be available for purchase and for signing.
Admission is free and all are welcome. The program is sponsored by the Cranford Historical Society and the Cranford Public Library.
More About Cranford Community Center
Cranford Community Center is open to all residents of Cranford. It offers a game room with pool tables, ping-pong tables, an air hockey table, a foosball table, as well as a space to play basketball and a lounge with TVs and vending machines.
Residents can use the facilities after showing a Cranford High School ID card, driver's license or a current utility bill to prove their Cranford residency. The community center is also home to a vast schedule of sports and activities for children, teens and adults.
Other events here
- Smarty Cats Scientist Ages 4- 10 April 24, 2013 / May 1, 2013 / May 8, 2013 / May 15, 2013 / May 22, 2013 / May 29, 2013 / June 5, 2013 / June 12, 2013, 4:30 pm–6:15 pm
- Cranford PAL Cheerleading In Person Registration Wed, May 22, 6:00 pm–8:00 pm
- A History of the Jersey Shore Wed, May 22, 7:30 pm–8:30 pm
- Cranford Recreation's Golf For Juniors May 2, 2013 / May 9, 2013 / May 16, 2013 / May 23, 2013 / May 30, 2013 / June 6, 2013 / June 13, 2013 / June 20, 2013, 4:00 pm–5:00 pm
- Fashionably Chic Grades 1-8 April 25, 2013 / May 2, 2013 / May 9, 2013 / May 16, 2013 / May 23, 2013 / May 30, 2013 / June 6, 2013 / June 13, 2013, 5:30 pm–6:15 pm
- Cranford Historic Preservation Advisory Board Thu, May 23, 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
- "Bach to Rock" - Electric Violinist Caryn Lin Wed, May 29, 7:30 pm
- Documentary: "First Position" (2011, 90 minutes) Mon, Jun 3, 2:00 pm–3:30 pm
- Documentary Film: "First Position" (2011, 90 minutes) Mon, Jun 3, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm