Invite a friend
Meet Holly Metz, Author of "Killing the Poormaster"
Holly Metz is the author of the recently published—and critically acclaimed—Killing the Poormaster: A Saga of Poverty, Corruption, and Murder in the Great Depression. Killing the Poormaster chronicles the events that led up to—and followed—the death of Harry Barck, a poormaster who was granted the authority to decide who would and would not receive public aid in Hoboken, New Jersey. Unemployed mason Joe Scutellaro was said to have stabbed Barck in the heart with a paper spike after the poormaster suggested that Scutellaro’s wife prostitute herself on the streets rather than ask the city for aid. News of the poormaster's death electrified the city, made headlines nationwide, and led to a sensational trial. A Hoboken resident for more than 30 years and a freelance writer since 1985, Holly Metz has written extensively on legal, cultural, and social issues for the American Bar Association and for publications including The Progressive, Labor History, Metropolis, and the New York Times. The founder of the Hoboken Oral History Project, which documents the city’s working class history, she received two New Jersey Historical Commission grants to research poor relief and the Scutellaro trial. Killing the Poormaster is the result of that research. Ms. Metz will have copies of her book available for purchase and for signing.
More About Cranford Community Center
Cranford Community Center is open to all residents of Cranford. It offers a game room with pool tables, ping-pong tables, an air hockey table, a foosball table, as well as a space to play basketball and a lounge with TVs and vending machines.
Residents can use the facilities after showing a Cranford High School ID card, driver's license or a current utility bill to prove their Cranford residency. The community center is also home to a vast schedule of sports and activities for children, teens and adults.
Other events here
- Smarty Cats Scientist Ages 4- 10 April 24, 2013 / May 1, 2013 / May 8, 2013 / May 15, 2013 / May 22, 2013 / May 29, 2013 / June 5, 2013 / June 12, 2013, 4:30 pm–6:15 pm
- Cranford PAL Cheerleading In Person Registration Today, May 22, 6:00 pm–8:00 pm
- A History of the Jersey Shore Today, May 22, 7:30 pm–8:30 pm
- Cranford Recreation's Golf For Juniors May 2, 2013 / May 9, 2013 / May 16, 2013 / May 23, 2013 / May 30, 2013 / June 6, 2013 / June 13, 2013 / June 20, 2013, 4:00 pm–5:00 pm
- Fashionably Chic Grades 1-8 April 25, 2013 / May 2, 2013 / May 9, 2013 / May 16, 2013 / May 23, 2013 / May 30, 2013 / June 6, 2013 / June 13, 2013, 5:30 pm–6:15 pm
- Cranford Historic Preservation Advisory Board Tomorrow, May 23, 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
- "Bach to Rock" - Electric Violinist Caryn Lin Wed, May 29, 7:30 pm
- Documentary: "First Position" (2011, 90 minutes) Mon, Jun 3, 2:00 pm–3:30 pm
- Documentary Film: "First Position" (2011, 90 minutes) Mon, Jun 3, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm