The Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders presents Sensory Friendly Theater; a series of live performances specially designed and adapted for children with autism and related disabilities.
Tom Chapin & Friends will engage the hearts, minds and imaginations of a very special audience with their music on Sunday, June 10, 2012 at 2pm at the Union County Performing Arts Center, 1601 Irving Street, Rahway, presented as part of the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholder’s Sensory Friendly Theatre series.
Tom Chapin, much-loved singer/songwriter and 3 time Grammy winner, has entertained audiences around the world with his sophisticated original songs. His performances appeal to all ages; his songs tell the stories of our times.
The New York Times called Chapin ''one of the great personalities in contemporary folk music,'' while Billboard called him ''the best family artist around'' and described him as ''totally captivating.'' Parents magazine stated, ''Nobody today is writing and performing better kid's songs than Tom Chapin.''
What to expect at a Sensory Friendly Theatre event:
• Each performance will run 60 minutes with an intermission.
• Seating is general admission and a limited number of tickets will be sold to maintain a comfortable size audience at each performance.
• Lights will remain up inside the theatre auditorium.
• Sound volume will be lowered and remain constant to prevent abrupt jarring sounds.
• Children will be free to talk and vocalize as they wish.
• Children may leave their seats under parental supervision.
• A private lounge area will be available where children and their families can relax. Fidget and stress sensory toys will be available for children to borrow as needed.
• Professional Autism specialists will be available throughout the performance to provide assistance as requested or needed.
• Resource Materials: ''This is My Theatre'' Social Story Picture Packet, may be downloaded at ucpac.org.
Families may use this Social Story tool to help acquaint their children with the experience of going to a live performance. Families who have not been to the Union County Performing Arts Center are invited to stop by and visit the theatre space and explore the seating areas two hours before the performance or by appointment prior to the performance date.
The Sensory Friendly Theatre series is made possible by the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders through the Freeholder Chairman’s 2012 ''Putting People First'' initiatives. Tickets for all performances are $8.00 each.
Additionally We will have Little Red Riding Hood and Pinocchio in the fall. For further info or to order tickets, please contact the box office at the UCPAC at 732-499-8226, fax 732-499-8227 or email email@example.com. All are welcome.