The will hold its 150th anniversary concert, featuring the Celebration Singers, a choir that was founded in 1938 in Elizabeth as the Esso Choristers, but that now is based in Cranford, includes a children’s choir, and practices at the church.
“It will be a community event,” said Pastor Ed Hann of the Cranford United Methodist Church. “It won’t be anything religious. It will be a community celebration of community singers.”
The concert will be held in Randolph Hall at 7:30 p.m. on Friday night. Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for seniors, and free for children.
Three choir groups that are a part of the celebration singers will perform: the adult group, the children’s group, and the “Middle C’s.” They will sing various songs, from the “Star Spangled Banner” to “Hallelujah,” to “Jambo,” a Kenyan folk song.
The concert will end with a song for all the choirs and all the guests to sing: “Let There Be Peace on Earth.”
More events this weekend:
Friday, April 15
- Cranford High School sports: Varsity baseball will play at Linden High School at 4 p.m. Varsity softball will play at home at 4 p.m. Boys varsity tennis will play at Westfield High School at 4 p.m. Girls varsity lacrosse will play at Scotch Plains High School at 4 p.m. Boys varsity lacrosse will play at home against Morristown-Beard.
Saturday, April 16
- Cranford High School sports: Coed varsity track will compete at the Blue Devil Relays at 9 a.m. Varsity softball will compete at the Black & Gold Tournament at 10 a.m. Varsity baseball will play at the Roselle Park Tournament at 1 p.m.
- The is holding a clothing drive from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. They are looking for wearable clothing for all seasons, toys, backpacks, shoes, belts, and more. For a full list of items, see .
- will be held at the Hillside Avenue School from 1:30 to 2:15 p.m. Prices vary depending on age group. For more information, call 732-563-2520 or email info@ussportsinstitute.
Sunday, April 17
- The Cranford Jaycees will host a from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Cranford VFW. $7 per adult, $5 per child, or $20 per family. Make sure to bring the kids--there may be a certain special bunny making a visit.
- Trinity Episcopal Church will present a meditation on the passion of Christ at 4 p.m., featuring the Trinity Episcopal Church Choir.