A smoke condition that appears to have been caused by a classroom heater has led to the evacuation of one of the buildings at
At approximately 8:12 a.m., crews from the responded to the Science Building after burning smell was reported emanating from room S112, according to Stephen D. Nacco, vice president and executive assistant to the president of Union County College.
Cranford Fire Chief Leonard Dolan said the cause of the problem was a faulty heater in the entrance to the classroom. An officer and five firefighters responded to the campus with an engine and a tower ladder truck, which Dolan said is typical response procedure when smoke is reported.
Fire crews disconnected the heater and checked the building to make sure it was clear of any additional fire hazards.
"The Fire Department gave an 'all clear at 8:30 a.m. and the building reopened," Nacco said. "A malfunctioning heater in Room S112 caused a burning smell. Students and faculty returned to the building by 8:35 to all but that one classroom, which we're airing out."