.

VIDEO: The Rutgers Condi Rice Decision - Was It Right?

Let us know in the comments and watch the video from My9 Chasing NJ

The decision to have former Secretary of State Condi Rice to speak at the 2014 Rutgers University still reverberates on the campus and beyond.

Indeed, despite Condoleezza Rice not heading to Rutgers to speak at this year’s graduation, a small group of professors and students who organized the original protests held a teach-in Wednesday called “In Protest Against Honoring Condoleezza Rice," according to a report from My9's Chasing NJ.

The report explores this topic: Was it right to have Rice speak at all? Now that she has opted not to speak, should this still be an issue?

Let us know in the comments.




Tara Fleming May 08, 2014 at 06:06 PM
No one wants to eliminate student protests. They have a right to their opinions and beliefs, uninformed as they may be. Sad though that they don't want to hear from anyone who may have a different point of view than their own. It used to be that university campus were open minded and thoughtful places. Now they are just a churn machine for progressives, who all think alike and anyone who disagrees is branded a right wing "extremist". As if the Constitution is now suddenly "extreme". Really sad.
MaverickMom May 08, 2014 at 07:28 PM
Joe R, I think you have that backwards as the liberals and dems have demonstrated they are ones for censoring and restricting rights. The dems and libs are the new fascists and there is plenty of evidence for this. At the end of the day, RU and Rice made the wrong decision and these protestors are nothing more than educated derelicts as Calvin Coolidge so aptly pointed in "Persistence" Tara, many universities have 'free speech zones' ,if you can believe that, now so apparently they don't have the right to free speech by our liberal friends.
BART FRAENKEL May 09, 2014 at 07:55 AM
MaverickMom, I think you have it half right. What this shows is that there's ignorance from both sides--liberals and democrats as well as republicans and right wing nuts. There are rational and reasonable people on both sides as well; those are the ones who are willing to listen to an opposing point of view and agree to disagree. The problem is there aren't enough of them and they don't create a public buzz that draws headlines.
Peter May 09, 2014 at 02:29 PM
Students have the right to protest or speak on their views. Professors don't have the right to speak for the students or to force students into their way of thinking. That is not just un-American it is a form of bullying that is unacceptable. I have seen this in my own college days and have seen it with both my children's experiences. Good for the students for making their views known, BAD for the professors to act with intolerance and bully students. BTW the name calling "wing nuts' - just make the point of the right on liberal intolerance.
Bernie May 09, 2014 at 11:55 PM
95 % of the protesters were underclassmen that aren't even involved with the graduation exercise ?? The other 5% were professors that should be fired . These are the profs that are misleading our future leaders ? God save us .

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »